All you need to know about drafting a good Partnership deed
December 20, 2021
All you need to know about drafting a good Partnership deed-Contents, conditions, and importance explained
Table of Content
What is Partnership?
A partnership firm is a form of business where two or more people share ownership, as well as the responsibility for managing the company and the income or losses the business generates. That income is paid to members, who then claim it on their personal tax returns – the business is not taxed separately, as corporations are, on its profits or losses. In this blog there will be detailed information on partnership deed, and its importance.
What is a Partnership Deed?
- In simple terms, a Partnership agreement means a written agreement between two or more partners. When important terms and conditions regarding the business are agreed upon and put up in writing and signed by all partners, such agreement is called ‘Partnership Deed’.
- The terms and conditions contained in the Deed are called Articles of Partnership.
- Partnership Deed mainly contains details regarding internal management as well as relations with external parties such as debtors and creditors.
Conditions for a Valid Partnership Agreement
- A valid Partnership deed should be properly stamped as per the provisions of the Indian Stamp Act
- It should be signed by all the parties.
- A copy of the same should be given to all the Partners
Contents of Partnership Agreement (Deed)
- Names and Addresses of the firm and its main business
- Names and Addresses of all partners
- Date of commencement of business
- Capital contributed by each partner
- The accounting period of the firm
- Duration of the firm’s existence
- Rules regarding an operation of Bank Accounts
- Profit and loss sharing ratio
- The rate of interest on capital, loan, drawings, etc
- Mode of auditor’s appointment, if any
- Salaries, commission, etc, if payable to any partner
- The rights, duties, and liabilities of each partner
- Treatment of loss arising out of the insolvency of one or more partners
- Settlement of accounts on the dissolution of the firm
- Method of a settlement of disputes among the partners
- Rules to be followed in case of admission, retirement, death of a partner and
- Any other matter relating to the conduct of business. Normally, all the matters affect the relationship of partners amongst themselves.
Importance of a Valid Partnership Agreement (deed):
Having a partnership deed is not mandatory or compulsory by law but it is desirable because of the following reasons:
- It regulates the rights, duties, and liabilities of each partner.
- It helps to avoid any misunderstanding amongst the partners because all the terms and conditions of the partnership have been laid down beforehand in the deed.
- Any dispute amongst the partners may be settled easily as the partnership deed may be readily referred to.
- Having a deed presents a legal liability amongst the partners.
- In case of disputes, it can be produced as important evidence.
- It would be helpful if the Firm is willing to register the Partnership under the Act.
Hence, it is always the best course to have a written document instead of oral agreements.
Suggested reads: Everything about GST registration of a Partnership firm
Do you have partners to share the profits and losses? Register Partnership Firm, with Ebizfiling at an affordable price
Amir Abbas Sayedrizvi05 Aug 2019
Charges are very affordable and One of the fastest & bestest service I ever get and miss Snehal is too corporative and very dedicated I had recommended to all my colleagues even they also like thier services.
Kautilya Panchal17 Aug 2017
Thanx a lot ebizfiling for supporting me to form my LLP and guide me in proper way on time. anybody's remuneration against this is just nothing. you have very good team to co pup this kind of liaison work. I also want to thanks Ms. Payal and Mr. Parin. Thank you and Best of Luck.
Misha Kapoor04 Oct 2017
I am a satisfied customer of Ebizfiling. I would surely recommend it to others.
October 22, 2022 By Zarana Mehta
Can we Patent a food item in India? – Everything you need to know Introduction The most obvious question is whether food patents are possible. The answer is yes, you can patent a food recipe or an item if it […]
October 20, 2022 By Zarana Mehta
Company Registration in the USA: 5 Advantages of company registration in the US for foreign non-resident Introduction Do you wish to create your business in the USA but you are Non-resident US citizen? And or want to set up a business […]
October 19, 2022 By Zarana Mehta
7 Tax Advantages of C Corporation in the USA Introduction Entrepreneurs may choose a C corporation for a number of advantages. This corporate structure can really assist business owners in reducing their overall tax burden, even though there is a […]